//
archives

White Hart

This tag is associated with 2 posts

Wheatley Hospitality (2)

The George and Crown were our oldest inns.  The King and Queen (the William and Mary sign of 1980 now shows Charles and Henrietta) and the White Hart were close behind.  Mail was delivered and collected at the White Hart, 1650-1750, before the Crown took over, 1750-1860.  Railways and telegraph wires on poles replaced mail … Continue reading

Wayside Inns

The old White Hart, Wheatley, 1822, drawn by James Buckler. It is on the site of the present Oxford House, High Street, opposite The Bell. The signboard names the landlord as George Crookes. Buckler also sketched the Manor House and 1795 chapel on Bell Lane. (Bodleian Library, University of Oxford, MS Top Oxon a.69, fol. … Continue reading

Advertisements

Categories