1, 4, 5 Crown Square

Archive Notes:

c. 1935 picture from Francis Frith collection of 4 and 5 Crown Square and 1 Farm Close Lane, now 1 Crown Square, and junction of Farm Close Lane. Also cottages that were demolished and replaced before 1960. Donated by Andrina de Paiva, 1 Crown Square in 2015. See record 0990 for more information on the 1958 planning applications.

Various family photos of the Hanks family and George Dungey

This part of the village, where High Street gives onto Crown Square, was the messy and smelly industrial area with a hide and tannery business being carried on using the river which ran behind the properties on the south of High Street and then crossed over the square. The predecessor buildings on the west, now  Nos 1, 2 and 3, were part of this business. The old cottages on the south were in a location called Louse Hill, perhaps for obvious reasons, but these have since been re-developed. The Chequers served this area, now developed into houses carrying High Street numbers.

Archive Number: